The Coffs Harbour Regional Boat Ramp has started the first stage of construction work to build two extra lanes to the ramp – bringing the total number of lanes to six. The upgrade work also includes a 75 metre extension of the breakwater, allowing for safer ingress and egress to the harbour safer, as well as an additional pontoon to extend the access for harbour users.
To maintain the water depth in the harbour, Transport for NSW’s Maritime Branch will also manage dredging around the boat ramp.
The second stage of construction will see the car park and surrounds upgraded with new fish cleaning facilities and an amenities block.
Stage one is expected to be complete in April 2022 and stage two is scheduled to finish in October 2022, weather permitting.
The proposed project will be designed and constructed in two stages during 2021 and 2022
Stage 1 (2nd quarter 2021) would include:
- Extending the existing breakwater by 75m
- Widening the existing boat ramp, adding an additional two lanes
- New top surface over the existing boat ramp area
- Extending the existing pontoon
- Adding two new pontoons
- Dredging the existing boat ramp basin and channel as part of an ongoing dredging program at this site
Stage 2 (early 2022) would include:
- Extending the existing main carpark to include additional parking for cars, boats and trailers
- New carpark entrance at the western end of the carpark
- Blocking the entry adjacent to the boat ramp off Jordan Esplanade (for safety reasons)
- Diverting traffic along Jordan Esplanade road opposite the main carpark
- New road signage
- New rigging and de-rigging bays around the main carpark
- A new shared pathway (2.5m) for walking/cycling
- New amenities facility
- New Lighting and signage
- Recreational furniture including seating and tables
- Pedestrian pathway on south side of Jordan Esplanade with access to Gallows beach carpark and to amenities facility in the main carpark area
- Extending services, including water, power and sewerage
Artist’s impression of completed boat ramp area