Whittley Marine Group has released its first Sea Legend model in over a decade. The new flagship SL 27 HT will be arriving at Whittley’s Factory Owned Dealerships across the country during June 2023. Two of the new models were displayed at this year’s Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show.
The newly released deep-vee family fishing boat replaces the SL 26 HT model and is the largest Sea Legend model that the Victorian manufacturer has produced. Designed as a maxi trailerable deep vee family fishing boat, the SL 27 HT offers an Australian-made hybrid boat designed for Australia’s unique boating lifestyle.
Steve Whittley, Director of Design at Whittley Marine Group had this to say about the all-new SL 27 HT release. “The new SL 27 HT has been developed by the Whittley in-house Research and Development team in Melbourne, after extensive market research and consideration of what Whittley owners are looking for. We realize Australian families need more flexibility in the way they boat. The functions that this new cross-over style boat provides, makes this possible for our customers. The new SL 27 HT model offers several flexible cockpit layouts, a dedicated galley, toilet and shower facilities, a large rear fishing area and easier access to the water for diving and water sports via a side door. We think this fresh design provides the perfect combination of cross-over functions and family-friendly useability.”
With a completely new hull shape and layout from the ground up, the SL 27 HT offers an offshore ride that is both visually striking and appealing. Complementing the voguish exterior design is a freshly styled dashboard layout designed to house up to a 19” Simrad multi-function screen and Brunswick’s Fathom full boat integration system option, along with the boat’s key operational functions. Ergonomically designed the SL 27 HT offers a crisp, new and functional look both inside and out. Its V180W windscreen design offers superior strength and increased visibility. The new sports look hard top features twin hatches for airflow and a newly designed WB180A electric rear sun awning feature. The boat’s layout also enables seamless airflow to the cabin and mid-ship, unlike many imported boats which offer limited airflow due to restrictions of sliding cabin doors.
The release of the new SL 27 HT model coincides with the Group’s 70th year of boat building from the Whittley Family which has seen quality Australian-made boats in Melbourne for generations. Mr Steve Whittley continued to say, “Our new SL 27 HT sets a new standard in locally made fibreglass trailer boats. The new model hits the target market for maxi trailer boat buyers, with basic packages being able to be towed under 3,500 kg, depending on the options selected and is still under the maximum legal towing width of 2.5m for Australian roads. There is nothing else like this new model in the marketplace and we feel this boat has broad appeal. This SL model has many new significant key features which really sets it apart from the competition.”
The SL 27 HT comes standard with many new innovative features including;
- New V180W windscreen design for a sports look, waterproof seal, increased visibility and strength providing an uninterrupted view that is accompanied by sliding side windows.
- Ergonomically considered sports dashboard design to house up to a 19” Simrad multifunction screen and a standard advanced switching system.
- 18% increase in the useable workspace and fishing cockpit area from the previous model with a fold-away rear convenient seat, a 200-litre removable kill tank under the floor, additional twin 80-litre in-stringer kill tanks and moulded track self-draining rear deck.
- Moulded live bait tank, fresh water rear sink and push-button overside hand washer featuring a flat back rear transom for an increased rear fishing work area.
- Sliding electric rear WB180A awning designed to protect occupants of the boat from the harsh Australian sun with the convenience of push-button activation.
- Standard starboard side door for increased access in and out of the boat and an optional rear side door ladder.
- Three unique seating options mid-ship, with stainless steel u-bar seats option, back-to-back fibreglass moulded base seat option or a combination of both.
- Foam-filled hull for a softer and quieter ride and WBGRID timber-free stringer construction for longevity and strength.
- Optional innovative lithium battery system incorporating Brunswick’s Fathom technology and battery management display.
- Deep-vee hull with a 23-degree deadrise design with increased reverse chine angle, for superior offshore performance.
- Stand-up fresh water shower area and lockable cabin door.
- Newly designed Fish Master Bait Board option to cater to the needs of the most serious of anglers.
- Increased front interior cabin space (15% increase in front cabin head height) over the previous model. The galley features a 24-volt electric stove, a dedicated sink and larger cooking area and full-size sleeping accommodation.
- Newly designed sports hard top featuring twin folding hatches for increased airflow, an extended rear design for further protection from the elements and an innovative new pack rack system.
- Increased fuel and water capacity, with the OB model featuring a standard 480-litre fuel tank.
- Automated boat levelling technique standard via the fitment of Zip Wake Trim Tabs.
It is true the SL 27 HT has been designed as a true family boat but make no mistake of its true-blue water appeal for the most serious of anglers. For the first time in the Sea Legend series, the boat’s subfloor features the new WBGRID timber-free stringer construction and is foam filled. The SL 27 HT has the largest rear fishing work area ever offered in a Sea Legend, with a moulded track rear self-draining deck and fishing-focused Fish Master Bait Board option. Combined with a deep vee 23-degree deadrise hull, that features advanced angles for the softest possible ride offshore.
National Dealerships General Manager Brock Cohen, had this to say about the exciting release. “The release of this new maxi trailerable family fishing package, could not come at a better time with Australian families looking for larger trailer boats, given the popularity of larger vehicles to tow them. The new SL 27 HT model takes advantage of this while still being under the maximum legal towing width of 2.5 meters, unlike most imported boats of a similar size. With a suitable tow vehicle, the SL 27 HT is designed to tow and explore Australia.”
The SL 27 HT is designed to be optioned up as a serious offshore fishing boat, bay cruiser or extended weekender, it’s simply a matter of selecting your individual options. You can also select either of the factory optional packages. The Coast Tourer Edition package will set the boat up with all the popular cruiser hybrid options for an extended stay on the water, the Marlin Broadbill Edition package will customise the boat with the most serious of offshore angler options. These new option packages are based on inspiration from the automotive industry to assist consumers to set up the boat package around their style of boating. The boat’s interior seating layout is also customisable and is available in three unique arrangements. New to the SL 27 HT is the Sea Keeper on-board stabiliser option, ideal to avoid the rolling action in a sea-going environment. This option can also be selected with the boat’s new factory-supplied Relion Lithium Battery.
Mr Cohen continued to say that “We have already pre-sold our first five boats. Consumers are coming to our dealerships and asking for a legally trailerable maxi fishing cross-over boat. The SL 27 HT OB ticks all the boxes as a family weekender and offshore sports boat. My team and I look forward to welcoming interested parties to our five factory-owned dealerships across the country to experience the most advanced Whittley Boat the Melbourne factory has ever produced. The announcement of the new model also coincides with the design team releasing the new 2024 model changes and colour selection options across the Whittley range.”
The SL 27 HT boasts a bigger volume front cabin, which provides more room in the boat’s overnight facilities. For the first time in a Sea Legend model, the SL 27 HT comes standard with a folding rear lounge which provides additional rear seating for two or three people and the ability to simply fold the lounge away when wanting to fish.
The SL 27 HT is packaged up on an aluminium dual axle high-quality Australian-made Mackay Trailer and powered by a Mercury Outboard or Volvo Penta Stern Drive. Every boat, motor and trailer package are custom-made at the Whittley Marine Group’s Factory in Melbourne. Whittley Factory Owned Dealerships around the country are taking orders on the new SL 27 HT model.
For more information visit www.whittleyboats.com.au
To keep up to date with all marine industry news visit www.marinebusinessnews.com.au