Better Boating Victoria together with Wyndham City Council, local fishers and other key management agencies have recently developed a draft concept plan for the future upgrade of boating facilities at Werribee South.
The Werribee South facility is one of the busiest within the Port Phillip Bay boat ramp network and services the large boating population on the western side of Melbourne.
The concept has been developed by experienced independent coastal engineers from BMT with advice and input from key management agencies, local government and key user groups including local recreational fishers.Click here to view the final concept
Consultation is open until COB 17 December 2021. Industry and the public are invited to have your their via an online survey.
The proposed upgrade at Werribee is expected to significantly improve the functionality of the facility and address congestion, which is known to affect its operation, particularly during peak periods.
Parking capacity continues to be an issue during peak periods. The proximity of environmentally significant wetlands and vegetation surrounding
the facility restrict any expansion of the existing site footprint. However Better Boating Victoria will explore future overflow parking options offsite in the coming months.
Community consultation has started and will run for approximately 4 weeks.
Key features of the upgrade include
- Increasing the number of ramps from 6 to 8 to improve efficiency and speed of vessel launch and retrieval
- Extending and realigning the existing pontoons and increasing the number from 4 to 5 to enable greater temporary berthing capacity
- Provision of all abilities access by modifying the existing fixed jetty and floating pontoon adjacent to the ramp
- Realignment of car parking arrangements to create more rigging and tie down space away from the main ramps
- Move and reintroduce the U-turn to the front of the vehicle queue to enable quicker retrieval of vessels
- Create an additional entry lane from Beach Road and an additional (3 total) waiting lanes to increase capacity and reduce queuing back to Beach Rd
Once the consultation period has closed the feedback with be collected, analysed and incorporated into a final concept plan which can then be used to move to the detailed design stage of the project.
The Victorian Government has made all boat ramps in Victoria free for all Victorians to enjoy and Better Boating Victoria are currently progressing the biggest boat ramp infrastructure upgrade program in Victoria’s history with the dedicated new $32m Better Boating Fund.