- Location:Ultimo, Sydney / Remote Friendly
Negotiable Salary + Super + Equity Options | Remote Friendly
Fun on the water starts here! Floatspace has rapidly grown to become the leading online marketplace for private, professionally crewed yacht hire on our home turf in Australia, turning a traditionally complicated and confusing booking process into an easy and modern experience.
Thousands of Australians have already chosen Floatspace to celebrate a special event in their lives, or just to have some fun with family and friends on board a unique yacht. Our mission is to enable you, and millions of people worldwide, to experience the feeling of freedom, fresh air, and fun from being out on the water for a day.
With so many people now stepping on board a Floatspace every day, and as we prepare for our international expansion in December 2021, we’re looking for an experienced Lead Engineer to join our team and take charge of our product roadmap and development, helping Floatspace become a global industry leader and household name.
- You’re an experienced professional who thinks strategically, but is also prepared to roll up your sleeves and get things done.
- You have a natural curiosity for deep diving areas that are outside your expertise with a proven ability to quickly acclimate, learn and utilize new skills when required.
- You have a practical understanding for both the front-end and back-end with a high level of expertise in Laravel.
- Experience with mySQL, AWS, CSS, jQuery, Bootstrap
- API development and API integration (CRM, Stripe, calendars and similar services)
- A passion for designing scalable and performant websites
- An understanding of DevOps principles and / or SRE.
- An eye for design, with a solid understanding of UI and UX best practises.
- Extreme customer focus, every decision you make has its ‘true north’ or origin based on our end users.
- You write clean and easy to understand modular code. You are an advocate for abstractions and understand the importance of producing simple declarative interfaces that expose the functionality of your well written imperative code.
- You have all the basics of generally accepted programming good practice- you can rebase a branch in git, perform scripting, linting, writing tests etc.
- Transaction system experience is preferred (Stripe)
- You are self motivated and creative
- You are highly articulate – excellent communication is crucial
- You are reliable and transparent, with a positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Experience in the travel or tourism industries is a bonus!
Your responsibilities at Floatspace
Reporting to the Product Director, you will be an integral person in the growth of the organisation. The role coincides with our imminent international expansion, building an engineering team around you which can ensure the Floatspace platform becomes the world leader in boating experiences.
- Own and lead the development of the Floatspace Platform, including the website marketplace and our boat operator software tools.
- Drive the engineering strategy and roadmap whilst identifying new customer features and enhancements, and keeping technical debt low.
- You will report directly to the Product Director, planning and producing new features and updates for our existing platform, while also taking ownership of new, strategic greenfield projects.
- Building and coordinating individual contributors and teams around internal and external facing services.
- Planning, execution and delivery of maximum business value from the team.
- Spiking issues to determine the best approach and design. There is no shortage of engineering challenges on our horizon which you’ll be responsible for.
- Getting in and doing a lot of the development work. We run with a very small team so you can expect to be staying on the tools a lot of the time.
- Ownership and full responsibility for the understandability, quality, processes and ongoing improvement of the code-base.
What’s on offer
- A salary is negotiable based on experience. Equity options are also available.
- The opportunity to have an ownership share in the company, which has potential to significantly increase in value in the future as Floatspace grows internationally.
- Remuneration includes the lifestyle benefits of a flexible, remote-friendly work environment. However, we do have an awesome office in Ultimo, Sydney with plenty of space for you.
To apply for this role, please send in your application to