This is a technical coaching role based in Sydney, NSW, which is focused on the ‘new’ classes (those new to the Olympic program in 2024). The role will have a development focus in the iQFOiL, Kitefoil and their associated pathway classes, with an ability to at times work to develop coaching knowledge and application in the other classes. While this role is based in Sydney and NSW, there will be a reasonable amount of interstate travel required in building the delivery of new classes nationally.
The successful candidate will work with categorised NSW Institute of Sport (NSWIS) athletes in daily training, camps, and regatta environments. The role will also monitor and support the identification, confirmation, and progression of youth talent, towards the performance pathway in NSW.
The NSW Assistant Coach will be supported as part of our Performance Pathway coach group, aligned to Australian Sailing’s ‘Next Level Coach Development’ framework and supported with access to world class coach development opportunities. Executing an agreed professional development plan will be an important part of progressing in this coaching role.
Australian Sailing is committed to protecting Children from harm. We require all applicants that will work with Children to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment.
In alignment with the NSW State Sailing Pathway Program (SSPP) objectives and strategy, primary responsibilities of the NSW Assistant Coach include:
- Provide on-water coaching support for NSWIS SSPP athletes in the local training environment, scheduled training camps and at major state and national regattas.
- Drive and monitor the development of NSW youth pathway classes, via talent ID and direct coaching at association/AS youth events.
- Create and action robust training, regatta, and review plans (to be agreed with NSW Program Lead).
- Work closely with the Australian Sailing national coordinator and Australian Sailing Team coaches of the and Windfoil and Kite classes to support planning and integration.
- Work with relevant Performance Pathway staff to produce and action an agreed individual development plan (IDP)
- Demonstrate high levels of collaboration, being respectful when liaising with all stakeholders to assist in the effective delivery of program.
- Undertake administrative responsibilities, including regular progress reports and operational/logistics meetings with Australian Sailing, NSWIS or performance pathways staff in the timelines required.
- Manage any contract coaches for use in required classes, as agreed with the NSW Program Lead.
- Undertake required planning and logistics for the team at camps and events as required.
- Maintain all supplied equipment including an allocated coach boat and trailer for your own use and remain accountable for its servicing.
- Notify NSW Program Lead and Performance Pathway Coordinator of damage to program assets that require repair.
- Relevant Coaching Accreditation
- First Aid Certificate
- Working with Children / Working with Vulnerable People Check
- Drivers Licence
- COVID-19 Certificate or proof of vaccination status or a medical clearance as per the Public Health Order
- Relevant Tertiary Qualification
- Australian Sailing Coach Qualification
- NSW Boat Licence
NSW Assistant Coach (Kite and iQFOiL focus) PD July 2022
To apply for this role, please submit a one-page cover letter that addresses:
- Why you are the ideal person for the role
- How your attributes align with the required role attributes
Please send the cover letter along with a copy of your CV to:
Applications close 26th August 2022
Please note: Short listing will commence immediately. We reserve the right to close the position without notice. Only suitable candidates will be considered and contacted if short listed.
For more information, please contact Chris Tate, Head of People & Culture (02) 9170 6905